ABOUT OUR MISSION...
TRYPO provides well-rounded music education programs and performance opportunities for young people to foster lifelong passion, appreciation and support of music.
ABOUT OUR PROGRAMS...
YOUNG PEOPLES ORCHESTRA (YPO)
- Type of ensemble: Full symphonic orchestra (strings, harp, winds, brass, percussion)
- Conductor: John Wilcox
- Age Range: While there are no specific age requirements, generally students are between 14-18 years old.
- Rehearsals: Most rehearsals take place on Saturday afternoons between 1:30-4:00. Some rehearsals are longer until 5:15 p.m. Some rehearsals occur on Sunday afternoons or evenings.
- Repertoire:YPO performs standard orchestral repertoire. See below for examples of recent repertoire.
- Performances:YPO performs three to four concerts per season.
- Coachings:YPO members receive periodic coachings for individual attention on their music. See Artistic Staff for more info about our Coaching Staff.
- Season retreat: YPO kicks off each season with Mini-Camp over Labor Day weekend. The students spend two intensive days getting to know each other and the music at beautiful accommodations in West Virginia. (Attendance is mandatory.)
- Concerto Competition:YPO members have an annual concerto competition for the chance to perform a piece with YPO on the Spring Concert. See Concerto Competition for more info.
- Touring:During the 2014-15 season, YPO has been invited to participate in the Sounds of Summer Music Festival in New York City, June 2015. See NY Tour Announcement for more information.
- Type of ensemble: String orchestra (violin, viola, cello, bass)
- Conductor: Andrew Wickesberg
- Age Range: While there are no specific age requirements, generally students are between 12 through 17.
- Rehearsals: Rehearsals take place on Saturday mornings from 10:15a.m.-12:45p.m.
- Repertoire:Symphonette performs challenging repertoire for string orchestras and string quartets. See below for examples of recent repertoire.
- Performances: Symphonette performs three to four concerts per season.
- Coachings:Symphonette members receive periodic coachings for individual attention on their music. See Artistic Staff for more info about our Coaching Staff.
- Season retreat: Symphonette kicks off each season with a day camp at the Mary Pappert School of Music where students get to know each other and the music. (Attendance is mandatory.)
For more information on how to apply to TRYPO ensembles YPO and Symphonette, see New Member Auditions.
CHAMBER MUSIC PROGRAM
TRYPO manages the joint Chamber Music Program for City Music Center and TRYPO. Membership in TRYPO or City Music Center is not required to participate in the Chamber Music Program. See 2013-14 Chamber Music Packet for info about the current program. Check back in Summer 2014 for info about the 2014-15 Chamber Music Program.
CITY MUSIC CENTER ENSEMBLES
Through our affiliation with City Music Center, we now have a four-tiered ensemble system specifically designed to prepare students for ensembles skills and future membership in TRYPO. Intrada is a City Music Center string ensemble (conducted by the same conductor as Symphonette, Andrew Wickesberg) that is the bridge between City Music Center Ensembles and TRYPO ensembles, and helps prepare students for membership in TRYPO ensembles. Reading Orchestra is a string ensemble conducted by Carmen Blanco that in turn helps prepare students for membership in Intrada. For more information on how to apply to CMC ensembles Intrada and Reading Orchestra, see City Music Center
OTHER GENERAL INFORMATION
- Rehearsal location: All ensembles rehearse at the Mary Pappert School of Music of Duquesne University.
- Ensemble Placement: Students who audition for an ensemble may be referred to a different ensemble that better suits their current playing level.
- Returning Students: Once accepted, students do not have to re-audition until they are ready to audition for the next ensemble.
- Attendance: Excellent attendance is very important and we expect all members to commit their Saturday morning or afternoon to TRYPO.
- Student Handbook: To see TRYPO policies and procedures, please see our 2013-14 Student Handbook. Check back in Summer 2014 for the 2014-15 Handbook.
ABOUT THE REPERTOIRE...
YPO performs standard orchestral repertoire for full orchestra. Recent repertoire selections have included:
- Beethoven's "Coriolan" Overture, op. 62
- Bizet's Suite No. 1 from Carmen
- Borodin's "Polovtesian Dances" from Prince Igor
- De Falla's El Amor brujo
- Schubert's Overture to Rosamunde
- Kabalevsky's Overture to Colas Breugnon
- Copland's "Saturday Night Waltz" from Rodeo
- Strauss' Beautiful Blue Danube Waltzes
- Beethoven's Symphony No. 5
- Offenbach's "Orpheus in the Underworld" Overture
Symphonette performs challenging repertoire for string orchestra according to their level of playing abilities. Recent repertoire selections have included:
- Brahms' Lullaby for the Christ Child (arr.)
- Akpabot's Three Nigerian Dances
- Husa's Vier Kleine Stucke
- Sibelius' Andante Festivo
- Dvorak's "Song to the Moon" from Rusalka (arr.)
- Dittersdorf's Concerto in E Major for Bass and Orchestra with Pittsburgh Symphony bassist Jeffrey Grubbs
- Weill's "Lost in the Stars" with Pittsburgh Symphony bassist Jeffrey Grubbs (arr.)
- Grieg's Holberg Suite, Op. 4
2014-15 Tuition Fees are as follows. Most tuition fees are split into fall and spring payments. For info on Tuition Assistance, see bottom of page.
|YPO||Total Annual Amount|
|Tuition (TRYPO only)||$700|
|Tuition (CMC students*)||$0|
|Mini-Camp Tuition (CMC and TRYPO)||$295|
|Touring Fees (CMC and TRYPO)||$1,550 cost/student|
-$750 automatic scholarship
$800 total fee/student
|Symphonette||Total Annual Amount|
|Tuition (TRYPO only)||$700|
|Tuition (CMC students*)||$0|
|Symphonette Day Fee (CMC and TRYPO)||$20|
*For City Music Center full-curriculum students who are cross-registered in TRYPO, your TRYPO tuition fees are included in your City Music Center tuition.
|Chamber Music Program||Total Annual Amount|
|Performance Track (CMC and TRYPO)||$400|
|Performance Track (out of program)||$500|
|Education Track (CMC and TRYPO)||$300|
|Education Track (out of program)||$400|
ABOUT TUITION ASSISTANCE...
Families should not be discouraged from applying to TRYPO due to financial limitations. TRYPO is a 501(c)(1) non-profit organization that is committed to keeping costs as low as possible without diminishing the quality or depth of programming. At the heart of our mission is a commitment to ensuring that no deserving young musician be denied participation based on financial means. We are fortunate to offer a financial aid and scholarship program to assist deserving students.
Since 1989, we have awarded almost $90,000 in scholarships to students who demonstrate need. We are greatly indebted to the Grable Foundation, the PNC Foundation, the McKinney Charitable Foundation, and the Paul J. and Charlotta Ross Young Musicianís Fund of The Pittsburgh Foundation for underwriting our scholarship program in recent years. If you would like to support the TRYPO Scholarship Fund, please contact us at 412-391-0526 or e-mail us at email@example.com.