Type of Ensemble: Percussion Ensemble consists of only percussion instruments. Students will have the opportunity to work with many kinds, from traditional instruments to quirky (coffee cups?!), in a group setting. 2020-21 Enrollment: 9
Typical Percussion Ensemble Students: Though the Percussion Ensemble tends to be made up of mostly YPO and Wind Symphony members, it is also open to students not currently in a TRYPO program! Students are generally from the greater Pittsburgh metropolitan area and from as far as West Virginia and Ohio. All ages up to freshman year in college will be considered for this ensemble.
Performances: In a typical season, Percussion Ensemble performs two to four concerts per year, sometimes in collaboration with the Duquesne University Percussion Ensemble or the TRYPO Wind Symphony. We have enjoyed some Virtual Exhibitions during COVID-19 and will hold an outdoor concert in May 2021. We are currently in the planning stages for how to do performances in the 2021-22 Season within whatever COVID protocols are in place at the time.
Rehearsals: We anticipate that rehearsals will be in person in the 2021-22 Season, with the option for students to stream in to a live Zoom feed if they have had a COVID exposure or are otherwise unwell. Percussion Ensemble currently rehearses on Saturday afternoons. We hope to hold rehearsals at a convenient location near downtown to be centrally located for families in the greater Pittsburgh metropolitan area. Past rehearsals have been at Duquesne University. In the 2020-21 Season, we met at the Energy Innovation Center (located near Duquesne University).
Auditions: Members of YPO and Wind Symphony are automatically accepted into Percussion Ensemble, audition required for any other interested students. Due to the current restrictions on gatherings, auditions are still currently online.
- Cage – Living Room Music
- Dittgen – Asante
- Daughtrey – Drums of Moria
- Daughtrey – On the Spectrum
- Ramon Meyer – Toccata Without Instruments
- David Mancini – March for Percussion Sextet
- Mark Ford – Coffee Break
- Julie Davila – Stool Pigeon
Tuition: 2021-22 Tuition Fees are as follows. Visit our Tuition Assistance page for more information about scholarships.
|Percussion Ensemble Tuition Fees||2021-22 Season Amount|
|Full Season Tuition||$400|
|Less $100 Household Discount if the enrolling PE member or another child is enrolled in a TRYPO large ensemble (YPO, SYM, WS), or YC² in the 2021-22 Season||-$100|
- Financial aid and scholarship assistance are always available, and it is easier than ever to ask for what you need. Families should not be discouraged from applying to TRYPO due to financial limitations. Visit our Tuition Assistance page for more information about scholarships.
- Family Discounts: TRYPO offers a family discount for households with a child or children registered in more than one Sep-May TRYPO program. The first enrolled program will be charged at full price, but all subsequent programs qualify for $50 off per semester ($100/year).