Type of Ensemble:The Percussion Ensemble consists of only percussion instruments. Students will have the opportunity to work with many kinds from traditional instruments to quirky (coffee cups?!), in a group setting. 2019-20 Enrollment: 9
Typical Percussion Ensemble Students: Though the Percussion Ensemble tends to be made up of mostly YPO and Wind Symphony members, it is also open to students not currently in a TRYPO program! Students are generally from the greater Pittsburgh metropolitan area and from as far as West Virginia and Ohio. All ages up to freshman year in college will be considered for this ensemble.
Performances: In a typical season, Percussion Ensemble performs two to four concerts per year, sometimes in collaboration with the Duquesne University Percussion Ensemble or the TRYPO Wind Symphony. See the Virtual Format Highlights section below for performance updates due to COVID-19.
Rehearsals: Percussion Ensemble rehearses on selected Saturdays, October through May, from 12:00 – 1:00 PM. See the Virtual Format Highlights section below for rehearsal updates due to COVID-19.
Auditions: Members of YPO and Wind Symphony are automatically accepted, audition required for any other interested students. Due to the current restrictions on gatherings, auditions are still currently online. Enrollment takes place in Fall 2020.
Virtual Format Highlights:
- Weekly playing assignments – students will receive written, individual feedback while working on the group’s technique and ensemble goals as well as the students’ own repertoire.
- Weekly listening assignments and discussions – will enable students to learn about great percussionists, percussion ensembles, and percussion composers and get familiar with major percussion repertoire.
- Weekly zoom meetings – learn about the upcoming technique goals and assignments and perform alongside or along with their peers.
- Participation in our transcendent Masterclass Series with special guests on topics relevant for young musicians, viewed through the lens of contemporary life in 2020, including Audition Preparation and a Juried Performance event.
- TRYPO is teaming up with other youth orchestra programs from around the country for National Instrument Hangs, and you are invited! Spend a virtual evening with other instrumentalists like you and find out how being a musician can be different and the same in other places like Washington D.C.!
- Goals – At the end of the semester, each of our students will have performed and recorded two solo etudes, two group improvisations, and at least one percussion ensemble. The group will present a virtual concert of three percussion ensemble works at the end of the semester.
- You will forever be a member of the #TRYPOfam! Our young musicians inspired the 2020-21 Season theme, Kaleidoscope. We believe that all of our differences are what make us “beautiful together.”
- Plus, you’ll get super awesome official TRYPO merch – the ‘Beautiful Together’ 2020-21 Season t-shirt and a ‘We Handle Difficult Times Together’ face mask.
Tentative Fall 2020 Repertoire:
- Steve Reich – Music for Pieces of Wood
- John Cage – Living Room Music
- Jason Treuting – “June” and “September” from Amid the Noise
- Dittgen – Asante
- Daughtrey – Drums of Moria
- Daughtrey – On the Spectrum
- Ramon Meyer – Toccata Without Instruments
- David Mancini – March for Percussion Sextet
- Mark Ford – Coffee Break
- Julie Davila – Stool Pigeon
2020-21 Tuition Fees are as follows. We know that in this year, finances might be even tighter than usual. TRYPO will never turn a student away due to limited financial resources. Percussion Ensemble is eligible for financial assistance, and the process to apply is easier than ever!
Check out the 2020-21 Scholarship Application form HERE for more information about tuition assistance.
|Percussion Ensemble Tuition Fees||2020-21 Season Amount|
|Full Season Tuition (includes all special programming – Masterclass Series, National Instrument Hangs, and more!)||$400|
|Less $100 Household Discount if the enrolling PE member or another child is enrolled in a TRYPO large ensemble (YPO, SYM, WS), or YC² in the 2020-21 Season||-$100|
We still have a few spots open in Percussion Ensemble! If you’re interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
And don’t forget to check out the rest of our Fall Enrollment offerings:
- TRYPOsphere is a new online music conservatory designed to strengthen your musical and media arts skills and have a blast at the same time! Choose from Composition, Overdubbing, Conducting, Video Storytelling, and Music Theory.
- Youth Chamber Connection (YC²) is gearing up for an October start, and our YC² faculty are starting with the score!
- And our large ensembles (YPO, SYM, WS) may even have a spot available for you – depending on your instrument! Check out our new member audition page for current openings.
You’ll be able to register for YC² and TRYPOsphere using the same registration form. Click here to register.
If you’re interested in a large ensemble or Percussion Ensemble, please email email@example.com for more information.