Type of Ensemble: The Percussion Ensemble consists of only percussion instruments. Students will have the opportunity to work with many types of percussion instruments, from traditional to quirky (coffee cups?!), in a group setting.
Typical Percussion Ensemble Students: Though the Percussion Ensemble tends to be made up of mostly YPO and Wind Symphony members, it is also open to students not currently in a TRYPO program! Students are generally from the greater Pittsburgh metropolitan area and from as far as West Virginia and Ohio. All ages up to freshman year in college will be considered for this ensemble.
Director: Paul Evans is the director and coach of the Percussion Ensemble, but students will also work with Duquesne University Percussion students.
Performances: The Percussion Ensemble performs two to three concerts per year, sometimes in collaboration with the Duquesne University Percussion Ensemble or the TRYPO Wind Ensemble.
Rehearsals: The Percussion Ensemble rehearses on selected Saturdays, October through May, from 11:45 am – 12:45 pm at the Mary Pappert School of Music of Duquesne University.
Auditions: Members of YPO and Wind Symphony are automatically accepted, audition required for any other interested students. Enrollment takes place in Fall 2019.
- Ramon Meyer – Toccata Without Instruments
- David Mancini – March for Percussion Sextet
- Mark Ford – Coffee Break
- Julie Davila – Stool Pigeon
- Full season tuition: $300 (Family discount of $100 applies if this is a second program for your household, i.e. if the enrolling PE member or another child is enrolled in YPO, WS, or YC2.)
- Financial aid and scholarship assistance are always available to students who demonstrate need. Families should not be discouraged from applying to TRYPO due to financial limitations. Visit our Tuition Assistance page for more information about scholarships.