• • •
Type of Ensemble: Percussion Ensemble consists of only percussion instruments. Students will have the opportunity to work with many kinds, from traditional instruments to quirky (coffee cups?!), in a group setting. 2021-22 Enrollment: 5
Typical Percussion Ensemble Students: Though the Percussion Ensemble tends to be made up of mostly YPO and Wind Symphony members, it is also open to students not currently in a TRYPO program! Students are generally from the greater Pittsburgh metropolitan area and from as far as West Virginia and Ohio. All ages up to freshman year in college will be considered for this ensemble.
Director: Paul Evans is the Percussion Ensemble Director for the 2021-22 season.
Performances: In a typical season, Percussion Ensemble performs two to four concerts per year, sometimes in collaboration with the Duquesne University Percussion Ensemble or the TRYPO Wind Symphony. We enjoyed some Virtual Exhibitions during COVID-19 and held an in-person concert in May 2021. We performed our first concert back with an audience in January 2022 at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center. We will continue to plan in-person events within whatever COVID protocols are in place at the time.
Rehearsals: Rehearsals are in person in the 2021-22 season, with the option for students to stream in to a live Zoom feed if they have had a COVID exposure or are otherwise unwell. Percussion Ensemble currently rehearses on Saturday afternoons. Rehearsals are held at Duquesne University to be centrally located for families in the greater Pittsburgh metropolitan area.
Auditions: Members of YPO and Wind Symphony are automatically accepted into Percussion Ensemble, audition required for any other interested students. See New Member Auditions for more information on joining Percussion Ensemble and current openings.
Repertoire: Recent repertoire selections have included:
- Cage – Living Room Music
- Dittgen – Asante
- Daughtrey – Drums of Moria
- Daughtrey – On the Spectrum
- Ramon Meyer – Toccata Without Instruments
- David Mancini – March for Percussion Sextet
- Mark Ford – Coffee Break
- Julie Davila – Stool Pigeon
Tuition: 2021-22 Tuition Fees are as follows. Visit our Tuition Assistance page for more information about scholarships.
|Percussion Ensemble Tuition Fees||2021-22 Season Amount|
|Full Season Tuition||$400|
|Less $100 Household Discount if the enrolling PE member or another child is enrolled in a TRYPO large ensemble (YPO, SYM, WS), or YC² in the 2021-22 Season||-$100|
- Financial aid and scholarship assistance are always available, and it is easier than ever to ask for what you need. Families should not be discouraged from applying to TRYPO due to financial limitations. Visit our Tuition Assistance page for more information about scholarships.
- Family Discounts: TRYPO offers a family discount for households with a child or children registered in more than one Sep-May TRYPO program. The first enrolled program will be charged at full price, but all subsequent programs qualify for $50 off per semester ($100/year).