Type of Ensemble: Wind Symphony is a symphonic wind ensemble for students at the advanced/intermediate-advanced level of music making. The ensemble is comprised of Flute/Piccolo, Oboe/English Horn, Clarinets, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophones (alto, tenor, baritone), Horns, Trumpets, Trombones, Euphonium, Tuba, and Percussion.
2019-20 Enrollment: 41
Typical Wind Symphony Students: Wind Symphony students are generally from the greater Pittsburgh metropolitan area and from as far as West Virginia and Ohio. All ages up to freshman year in college will be considered for this ensemble.
Conductor: The Wind Symphony is led by Len Lavelle . See Artistic Staff for more information about TRYPO’s ensemble directors.
Travel: TRYPO believes that performing while traveling uniquely cements a student’s relationship with music and wants its large ensembles to travel every three years. The next travel year for TRYPO was anticipated to be the 2020-21 season, however given the current situation with COVID-19, we do not yet know when we will next be able to travel. All WS students are expected and encouraged to travel with the ensemble during a travel season. However, with proper notice, permission to miss may be granted without jeopardizing the student’s membership in the ensemble.
Performances:Wind Symphony performs approximately four times a season with the other large ensembles at Carnegie Music Hall in Oakland, as well as with the Percussion Ensemble at Duquesne University.
Rehearsals: Wind Symphony rehearses on Saturdays from 10:00-11:30 am at the Mary Pappert School of Music of Duquesne University.
Retreats: Wind Symphony will likely have some sort of season start retreat. Stay tuned for more Information!
Auditions:Wind Symphony has auditions every May/June for entry to the next season. Due to the current restrictions on gatherings, we will move to an online audition model. If possible, some in-person auditions will be scheduled in the future. We’ll keep you updated. See New Member Auditions for more information on how to join WS and for current openings (if any).
- Ralph Vaughan Williams – Sea Songs
- Eric Whitacre – October
- Frank Ticheli – Dancing on Water
- Frank Ticheli – Vesuvius
- Gustav Holst – First Suite in E-flat
- Percy Grainger – Lincolnshire Posy
- Morten Lauridsen – O Magnum Mysterium
Tuition: 2019-20 Fees are as follows:
- Full season tuition: $400 (Family discount of $100 applies if this is a second program for your household, i.e. if the enrolling WS member or another child is enrolled in YPO, SYM, or YC2.)
- Financial aid and scholarship assistance are always available to students who demonstrate need. Families should not be discouraged from applying to TRYPO due to financial limitations. Visit our Tuition Assistance page for more information about scholarships.
- Family Discounts: TRYPO offers a family discount for households that have a child or children registered in more than one Sep-May TRYPO program. The first enrolled program will be charged at full price, but all subsequent programs qualify for $50 off per semester ($100/year).