Type of Ensemble: Wind Symphony is a symphonic wind ensemble for students at the advanced/intermediate-advanced level of music-making. The ensemble is comprised of Flute/Piccolo, Oboe/English Horn, Clarinets, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophones (alto, tenor, baritone), Horns, Trumpets, Trombones, Euphonium, Tuba, and Percussion. 2020-21 Enrollment: 35
Typical Wind Symphony Students: Wind Symphony students are generally from the greater Pittsburgh metropolitan area and from as far as West Virginia and Ohio. All ages up to freshman year in college will be considered for this ensemble.
Conductor: The Wind Symphony Conductor is Len Lavelle; however, he was on leave in the 2020-21 Season. We have loved having Rob Traugh work with Wind Symphony Students in the 2020-21 Season! See Artistic Staff for more information about TRYPO’s ensemble directors.
Travel: TRYPO believes that performing while traveling uniquely cements a student’s relationship with music and strives for its large ensembles to travel every three years. TRYPO anticipated the 2020-21 Season would be the next travel year for TRYPO. However, given the current situation with COVID-19, we do not yet know when we will next be able to travel. All Wind Symphony students are expected and encouraged to travel with the ensemble during a travel season. However, with proper notice, permission to miss may be granted without jeopardizing the student’s membership in the ensemble.
Performances: Wind Symphony performs approximately four times a season with the other large ensembles at Carnegie Music Hall in Oakland, as well as with the Percussion Ensemble at Duquesne University. We have enjoyed some Virtual Exhibitions during COVID-19 and will hold an outdoor concert in May 2021. We are currently in the planning stages for how to do performances in the 2021-22 Season within whatever COVID protocols are in place at the time.
Rehearsals: We anticipate that rehearsals will be in-person in the 2021-22 Season, with the option for students to stream in to a live Zoom feed if they have a COVID exposure or are otherwise unwell. Wind Symphony current rehearses on Saturday mornings. We will determine the exact rehearsal times and venue once we know more about what COVID safety protocols will be required in Fall 2021. We hope to hold rehearsals at a convenient location near downtown to be centrally located for families in the greater Pittsburgh metropolitan area. Past rehearsals have been at Duquesne University. In the 2020-21 Season, we met at the Energy Innovation Center (located near Duquesne University).
Retreats: Wind Symphony will likely have some sort of season start retreat, but it will not be overnight. We likely will have an intense opening weekend within whatever COVID protocols are in place at the time! More information about this will be issued over the summer during the registration process.
Auditions: Wind Symphony has auditions every May/June for entry to the next season. Due to the current restrictions on gatherings, we will move to an online audition model. See New Member Auditions for more information on joining WS and current openings (if any).
- Milburn – American Hymnsong Suite
- Whitacre – Seal Lullaby
- Ralph Vaughan Williams – Sea Songs
- Eric Whitacre – October
- Frank Ticheli – Dancing on Water
- Frank Ticheli – Vesuvius
- Gustav Holst – First Suite in E-flat
- Percy Grainger – Lincolnshire Posy
- Morten Lauridsen – O Magnum Mysterium
Tuition: 2021-22 Fees are as follows:
- Full season tuition: $400 (Family discount of $100 applies if this is a second program for your household, i.e., if the enrolling WS member or another child is enrolled in YPO, SYM, or YC2.)
- Financial aid and scholarship assistance are always available, and it is easier than ever to ask for what you need. Families should not be discouraged from applying to TRYPO due to financial limitations. Visit our Tuition Assistance page for more information about scholarships.
- Family Discounts: TRYPO offers a family discount for households with a child or children registered in more than one Sep-May TRYPO program. The first enrolled program will be charged at full price, but all subsequent programs qualify for $50 off per semester ($100/year).