Type of Ensemble: Wind Symphony is a symphonic wind ensemble for students at the advanced/intermediate-advanced level of music making. The ensemble is comprised of Flute/Piccolo, Oboe/English Horn, Clarinets, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophones (alto, tenor, baritone), Horns, Trumpets, Trombones, Euphonium, Tuba, and Percussion.
Typical Wind Symphony Students: Wind Symphony students are generally from the greater Pittsburgh metropolitan area and from as far as West Virginia and Ohio. All ages up to freshman year in college will be considered for this ensemble.
Conductor: Brian Worsdale is the conductor of Wind Symphony and the Music Director of TRYPO. See Artistic Staff for more information about Mr. Worsdale.
Coaches: Students break out into periodic sectionals to focus on technique and their individual parts with coaching staff drawn from members of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra and other professional local teaching artists.
Performances: Wind Symphony will perform with the other large ensembles at Carnegie Music Hall in Oakland, as well as with the Percussion Ensemble at Duquesne University. We anticipate a total of four performances in the 2019-20 season.
Rehearsals: Wind Symphony rehearses on Saturdays from 10:00-11:30 am at the Mary Pappert School of Music of Duquesne University.
Auditions: WS has auditions every May/June for entry to the next season. See New Member Auditions for more information on how to join WS and for current openings (if any).
- Frank Ticheli – Vesuvius
- Gustav Holst – First Suite in E-flat
- Percy Grainger – Lincolnshire Posy
- Morten Lauridsen – O Magnum Mysterium
Tuition: 2019-20 Fees are as follows:
- Full season tuition: $400 (Family discount of $100 applies if this is a second program for your household, i.e. if the enrolling WS member or another child is enrolled in YPO, SYM, or YC2.)
- Financial aid and scholarship assistance are always available to students who demonstrate need. Families should not be discouraged from applying to TRYPO due to financial limitations. Visit our Tuition Assistance page for more information about scholarships.