REGISTRATION FOR THE SPRING 2022 SESSION IS STILL OPEN!
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to check for vacancies and to ask questions about becoming a member of the TRYPOfam!
WANT TO JOIN US FOR THE 2022-23 SEASON?
CLICK HERE to complete the Audition Application Form, and a member of the TRYPO staff will reach out to you with more details. In-person auditions will be scheduled in May 2022, and video submissions will also be accepted.
• • •
Type of Ensemble: Wind Symphony is a symphonic wind ensemble for students at the advanced/intermediate-advanced level of music-making. The ensemble is comprised of Flute/Piccolo, Oboe/English Horn, Clarinets, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophones (alto, tenor, baritone), Horns, Trumpets, Trombones, Euphonium, Tuba, and Percussion. 2021-22 Enrollment: 35
Typical Wind Symphony Students: Wind Symphony students are generally from the greater Pittsburgh metropolitan area and from as far as West Virginia and Ohio. All ages up to freshman year in college will be considered for this ensemble.
Conductor: The Wind Symphony Conductor is Robert Traugh. See Artistic Staff for more information about TRYPO’s ensemble directors.
Travel: TRYPO believes that performing while traveling uniquely cements a student’s relationship with music and strives for its large ensembles to travel every three years. All Wind Symphony students are expected and encouraged to travel with the ensemble during a travel season. However, with proper notice, permission to miss may be granted without jeopardizing the student’s membership in the ensemble.
Performances: Wind Symphony performs approximately four times a season with the other large ensembles at Carnegie Music Hall in Oakland, as well as with the Percussion Ensemble at Duquesne University. We enjoyed some Virtual Exhibitions during COVID-19 and held an in-person concert in May 2021. We performed our first concert back with an audience in January 2022 at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center. We will continue to plan in-person events within whatever COVID protocols are in place at the time.
Rehearsals: Rehearsals are in-person in the 2021-22 Season, with the option for students to stream in to a live Zoom feed if they have a COVID exposure or are otherwise unwell. Wind Symphony currently rehearses on Saturday mornings, 9:30-11:30 AM. Rehearsals take place at Duquesne University at a convenient location near downtown to be centrally located for families in the greater Pittsburgh metropolitan area.
Retreats: Wind Symphony typically has some sort of season start retreat, but we did not hold one this season due to complications around COVID-19. We look forward to picking this back up in future seasons!
Auditions: Wind Symphony has auditions every May/June for entry to the next season. See New Member Auditions for more information on joining WS and current openings (if any).
Repertoire: Recent repertoire selections have included:
- Mackey – Strange Humors
- Piunno – Postcard from Sequoia
- Milburn – American Hymnsong Suite
- Whitacre – Seal Lullaby
- Ralph Vaughan Williams – Sea Songs
- Eric Whitacre – October
- Frank Ticheli – Dancing on Water
- Frank Ticheli – Vesuvius
- Gustav Holst – First Suite in E-flat
- Percy Grainger – Lincolnshire Posy
- Morten Lauridsen – O Magnum Mysterium
Tuition: 2021-22 Fees are as follows:
- Full season tuition: $400 (Family discount of $100 applies if this is a second program for your household, i.e., if the enrolling WS member or another child is enrolled in YPO, SYM, or YC².)
- Financial aid and scholarship assistance are always available, and it is easier than ever to ask for what you need. Families should not be discouraged from applying to TRYPO due to financial limitations. Visit our Tuition Assistance page for more information about scholarships.
- Family Discounts: TRYPO offers a family discount for households with a child or children registered in more than one Sep-May TRYPO program. The first enrolled program will be charged at full price, but all subsequent programs qualify for $50 off per semester ($100/year).