In the not so distant future, college applications and job interviewers are sure to ask, “What did you do during the 2020 pandemic?” What if you could answer: “I composed original music!” “I learned how to conduct an orchestra!” “I wrote my own arrangement and produced a recording!”
We’re excited to launch the newest branch of TRYPO programming… TRYPOsphere! – a cosmic series of online classes designed to strengthen your musical and media arts skills and have a blast at the same time!
Your TRYPOsphere voyage includes:
- Weekly classes with incomparable faculty – choose from Composition, Overdubbing, Conducting, Video Storytelling, and Music Theory.
- Participation in our transcendent Guest Speaker Series, TRYPOtalks!, with special guests on topics relevant for young musicians, viewed through the lens of contemporary life in 2020, including Audition Preparation and a Juried Performance event. Click here for more TRYPOtalks! information including upcoming events and registration info.
- Technology support for solo and group assignments
- TRYPO is teaming up with other youth orchestra programs from around the country for National Instrument Hangs, and you are invited! Spend a virtual evening with other instrumentalists like you and find out how being a musician can be different and the same on other parts of the planet like Washington D.C.!
- Harmonious scheduling to accommodate your YC² and large ensemble commitments
- All courses will contribute performance video to be played at our Semester Finale, which will be scheduled in January 2021.
- Our Fall semester runs 10-weeks from late September to mid-December and accommodates students at all levels. Space is limited, and depending on enrollment, some courses may be designated as beginner or experienced – or we may be able to offer both!
- Class confirmations will be sent via email between September 21-27, and classes begin the following week.
- You will forever be a member of the #TRYPOfam! Our young musicians inspired the 2020-21 Season theme, Kaleidoscope. We believe that all of our differences are what make us “beautiful together.”
- Plus, you’ll get super awesome official TRYPO merch – the ‘Beautiful Together’ 2020-21 Season t-shirt and a ‘We Handle Difficult Times Together’ face mask.
Fall 2020 Course Offerings
Apprentice Conducting with Maestro Brian Worsdale
Dig deep into the study of a variety of orchestral scores, explore the history and personal biography which impacted the composer, discuss conducting techniques, review well-known and lesser-known performances, and grow your musical knowledge. Enjoy a weekly session, which will include discussion, special guests, listening and research homework assignments. Ages 14-19. This class will meet Thursdays from 7:00-8:30 PM, October 8–mid-December.
Composition with Professor Rob Traugh
Ignite your creative juices as you work with composer Robert Traugh. Explore a variety of compositional practices through guest interviews, guided exploration, and short composition assignments designed to build a notebook of ideas you can continue to expand upon. Students should have a prior rudimentary understanding of basic music theory. A very special collaboration is planned with students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas school in Parkland, FL. Ages 13-19. This class will meet Wednesdays from 4:00-5:30 PM, October 7–mid-December.
Music Theory with Shantanique Moore
Explore the rich, integral connection between music theory and performance in order to become your most expressive musical self! We’ll study the basics of theory; look at phrasing, musicality, styles, and history; and take a closer look through the lens of 2020. Students will learn to analyze a piece of music and demonstrate ideas learned in class. Ages 12-19. This class will meet Tuesdays from 7:00-8:30 PM, October 13–December 15.
Winter 2021 Course Offerings
All of our Fall 2020 courses, PLUS the following two courses, will be offered Second Semester, beginning February 2021:
Video Production with Johnathan Wright
Learn the art of visual storytelling and strengthen your video production skills with Pittsburgh photographer and filmmaker Johnathan Wright. Beginners to experienced videographers will benefit from this course, which will help you develop a vision for your story; discover essential shooting techniques; and learn to create original videos. Ages 12-19.
Overdubbing with Master Arranger James Nova
Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra Trombonist Jim Nova has had a lifelong love of John Williams’ film scores and has enjoyed great success creating overdub albums of trombone choirs. Learn the ins and outs of arranging orchestral or chamber music parts for your instrument, how to set up your recording studio, and the skills necessary to produce an awesome overdub. (For students with some recording knowledge, some equipment required.) Ages 14-19.
Tuition: Fall 2020 Tuition Fees are as follows. We know that in this year, finances might be even tighter than usual. TRYPO will never turn a student away due to limited financial resources. TRYPOsphere classes are eligible for financial assistance, and the process to apply is easier than ever!
Check out the 2020-21 Scholarship Application form HERE for more information about tuition assistance.
|TRYPOsphere Tuition Fees||Fall 2020 Amount|
|Tuition (per class, includes all TRYPOsphere special programming – Masterclass Series, National Instrument Hangs, and more!)||$300|
|Less $50 Household Discount per class if the student or a sibling is enrolled in a TRYPO large ensemble (YPO, SYM, WS, PE), YC², or another TRYPOsphere class in the 2020-21 Season.||-$50|
- Meet once a week with your teacher for 90 minutes, and periodically with your teacher and/or TA to review skills and work on projects as needed.
- Please list all available time slots on your registration form, and we will work hard to schedule class at a mutually convenient time for all interested students and faculty.
- Preferred time slots include: Tuesdays 7:00-8:30 PM; Fridays 4:00-6:00 PM; Saturdays 10:00am-12:00 PM, or 1:00-3:00 PM; or Sundays 3:00-5:00 PM; but alternate times will also be considered.
Fall Enrollment Registration
Register for TRYPOsphere now, and don’t forget to check out the rest of our Fall Enrollment offerings:
- Youth Chamber Connection (YC²) is gearing up for an October start, and our YC² faculty are starting with the score!
- TRYPO’s Percussion Ensemble has a few spots open,
- and our large ensembles (YPO, SYM, WS) may even have a spot available for you – depending on your instrument! Check out our new member audition page for current openings.
You’ll be able to register for YC² and TRYPOsphere using the same registration form. Click here to register.
If you’re interested in a large ensemble or Percussion Ensemble, please email email@example.com for more information.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact Laurie Cunningham at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-391-0185.