Type of Ensemble: Full Symphonic Orchestra, including strings, winds, brass, and percussion.
2016-17 Enrollment: 95
Typical YPO Students: YPO students are generally from the greater Pittsburgh metropolitan area and from as far as West Virginia and Ohio. While auditions are based on playing level and not age, most students are in between 9th and 12th grades, with some younger students and some college students.
Conductor: John Wilcox is the conductor of YPO and the Music Director of TRYPO. See Artistic Staff for more information about Mr. Wilcox.
EQTeach Coaches: Students break out into periodic sectionals to focus on technique and their individual parts. YPO coaching staff is drawn from members of the Pittsburgh Symphony and other professional local teaching artists. See Artistic Staff for more information about YPO’s artistic staff. EQTeach is underwritten by EQT.
Performances: YPO performs two to four concerts a year, depending on the season.
Rehearsals: YPO rehearses on Saturday afternoons at the Mary Pappert School of Music of Duquesne University. Occasionally rehearsals occur on Sunday afternoons/evenings.
Retreats: YPO has a overnight season retreat at the start of each season over Labor Day weekend. Attendance is mandatory for YPO students. In consideration of the 2017-18 being a travel year and in order to reduce the financial impact on family funds, we will still hold a mandatory season-start retreat (Saturday-Sunday, September 2-3, 2017), but it will be held locally at a greatly-reduced cost so that families will have the option of directing the Mini-Camp fee towards the travel expense.
Travel: The 2014-15 season was a travel year for YPO, which went to New York City in June 2015 to perform in Carnegie Hall, among other activities. The next travel season for YPO is scheduled for the 2017-18 season with an international trip in June 2018. All YPO students are expected and encouraged to travel with the orchestra during a travel season. However with proper notice, permission to miss the tour may be granted without jeopardizing the student’s membership in the orchestra. For more information about the 2017-18 European Tour, please CLICK HERE.
Concerto Competition: Every year, YPO students can compete to perform with YPO on the spring concert.
Auditions: YPO has auditions every May/June for entry to the next season. See New Member Auditions for more information on how to join YPO and for current openings (if any).
Repertoire: YPO performs standard orchestral repertoire for full orchestra. Recent repertoire selections have included:
- Stravinsky’s Suite from The Firebird (1919 version): 15-16 Season
- Respighi’s Fountains of Rome: 15-16 Season
- Humperdinck’s Prelude to Hansel and Gretel: 15-16 Season
- Verdi’s Overture to Nabucco: 14-15 Season
- Abigana’s Ceili, World premiere in Carnegie Hall, NYC: 14-15 Season
- Verdi’s Overture to La Forza del destino: 15-16 Season
- Saint-Saens: “Danse Bacchanale” from Samson and Delilah: 14-15 Season
- Tchaikovsky’s Capriccio Italien: 13-14 Season
- Orff’s Carmina Burana: 13-14 Season
City Music Center: TRYPO is pleased to be affiliated with City Music Center [CMC] of Duquesne University at the Mary Pappert School of Music. Through TRYPO’s affiliation with City Music Center, the following opportunities are available to TRYPO members:
- TRYPO is included as a core curriculum component for members enrolled in the full curriculum at CMC. What does this mean? Tuition for the full curriculum program at City Music Center includes your base tuition in TRYPO for cross-registered members. Available to the first fifteen cross-registered students who commit membership to both TRYPO and CMC. (Other program fees are not included. See below for more information.)
- For members not interested in participating in CMC, your TRYPO membership can stay just as it is. There are no obligations, just opportunities for those who want them.
- Please note: TRYPO does not give any preference to City Music Center students at auditions, seating assignments or any other program or event.
Tuition: 2016-17 Tuition Fees are as follows. Most tuition fees are split into fall and spring payments. Visit our Tuition Assistance page for more information about scholarships. Please stay tuned for 2017-18 tuition updates.
|YPO||Total Annual Amount|
|Tuition (TRYPO only)||$700|
|Tuition (CMC students*)||$0|
|Mini-Camp Tuition (CMC and TRYPO)||$295|
|Touring Fees (CMC and TRYPO – Next tour planned for 2017-18 season)||$TBA fee/student|
*For City Music Center full-curriculum students who are cross-registered in TRYPO, your TRYPO tuition fees are included in your City Music Center tuition. Available to the first fifteen cross-registered students who commit membership to both TRYPO and CMC.