Program Description: Youth Chamber Connection (YC²) offers chamber music education, enrichment, and community-service performance opportunities for members of Three Rivers Young Peoples Orchestras (TRYPO), the Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra (PYSO), and other interested young musicians. YC² is administrated by TRYPO staff. All musicians approximately ages 8-19 are welcome to apply, regardless of your music program affiliation. Our goal is to expose as many students as possible to the joy and finesse of playing chamber music!
NOW ENROLLING for Spring 2021 Semester!
2020-21 Season | Hybrid YC² Features
- Weekly coachings via Zoom focusing on score study, technical skills, part preparation, and rehearsal time with coach feedback.
- Participation in our online series, TRYPOtalks! We invite special guests to hold sessions relevant to young musicians, all viewed through the lens of contemporary life in 2021. The upcoming TRYPOtalks! focus on topics like How Music Moves Us, Hip Hop Orchestra, and more, plus a Virtual College Fair.
- TRYPO is teaming up with other youth orchestra programs from around the country for National Instrument Hangs, and you are invited! Spend a virtual evening with other instrumentalists like you and find out how being a musician can be different and the same in other cities like Washington D.C.!
- Intermediate and advanced groups will be encouraged to also schedule rehearsal-on-own time each week.
When community spread of the virus is minimal, we plan to schedule additional stand-alone in-person chamber music education reading sessions. These sessions will be optional and may mix and match students to read chamber music together.
Placement: We make every effort to place all interested musicians in a suitable chamber group (most often quartets and quintets), provided there are other interested students of a similar age, playing level, schedule availability, and appropriate instrumentation. Space is available until all chamber groups are complete.
Coaches: Our coaching team includes members of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Pittsburgh Opera Orchestra, New World Symphony, and Chamber Orchestra of Pittsburgh.
Performances: During the COVID pandemic, performances will primarily be held virtually via social media. Groups will work together to produce a recording to be shared at Semester Finale events in January and May 2021. We will be continually monitoring options for in-person performances this year, and are open to ideas from families and the community for virtual performance opportunities. We are hopeful to return to some live community performances before the conclusion of the 2020-21 Season.
Rehearsals: Groups will meet 45 minutes with their coach each week via Zoom. Intermediate-advanced groups will also be encouraged to schedule additional rehearsal-on-own time each week, strengthening their leadership, listening, and cooperation skills and learning to make their own musical decisions. Schedules are set to accommodate all students in the group’s schedule. This year’s popular time slots will be Fridays in the 4:00 – 6:00 PM time window, Saturdays at times which don’t conflict with TRYPO large ensemble commitments, or Sundays in the 3:00 – 5:00 PM time window. Alternate times will also be considered if necessary due to the students’ schedules.
Auditions: No entrance auditions are necessary, YC² welcomes young musicians at all playing levels who have adequate skills for ensemble work. Students are asked to complete the registration form, plus email a video or link to a video of yourself playing solo to firstname.lastname@example.org in order to place you in a group.
Videos enable our staff to match compatible students together and for coaches to choose repertoire. Choose something you are confident playing, one to three minutes in length. A casual, home-video recorded with your phone is all we need. Ensure lighting is adequate and the students’ arms, instrument, embouchure, if applicable, are in view. Please send the video as soon as possible after completing your registration.
|Youth Chamber Connection Tuition||2020-21 Season Amount|
Tuition (includes access to special optional programming – TRYPOtalks! Series, National Instrument Hangs, and more!)
Less $100 Household Discount if the student or a sibling is enrolled in a TRYPO large ensemble (YPO, SYM, WS, PE), PYSO, or YC² in the 2020-21 Season
Register for YC² now, and don’t forget to check out the rest of our Spring Enrollment programs:
- TRYPOsphere is a new online music conservatory designed to strengthen your musical and media arts skills and have a blast at the same time! Choose from Composition, Overdubbing, Conducting, and Music Theory classes.
- TRYPO’s Percussion Ensemble has a few spots open,
- And our large ensembles (YPO, SYM, WS) may even have a spot available for you – depending on your instrument! Check out our new member audition page for current openings.
You’ll be able to register for YC² and TRYPOsphere using the same registration form. Click here to register.
If you’re interested in a large ensemble or Percussion Ensemble, please email email@example.com for more information.
For more information, please visit YC²’s website, www.youthchamberconnection.org.