We are working hard on 2018-19 plans and can’t wait to get started! Here are a few things next season’s students can look forward to:
- YPO 2018-19 Repertoire tentative plans include:
– Joy Ride by Michael Markowski (Pittsburgh premiere!)
– “Adventures on Earth” from ET by John Williams
– Selections from The Planets by Gustav Holst
– Mahler Symphony No. 1 by Gustav Holst (mvt. 3 & mvt. 4)
– Overture [Considering Overture to West Side Story by Leonard Bernstein, or Overture to La Forza del destino by Giuseppe Verdi, or Overture to Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg by Richard Wagner]
– Winner of the TRYPO Concerto Competition
- Symphonette 2018-19 Repertoire tentative plans include:
– Overture to War by Kirt Mosier
– Capriol Suite by Peter Warlock
– Concerto featuring member of the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
– Elegy for String Orchestra by Edward Elgar
– Sinfonia in G by Johann Friedrich Fasch
- NEW! We are thrilled to announce the new home of YPO’s Mini-Camp, which is YPO’s annual season-starting retreat held each year over Labor Day weekend (mandatory for all YPO 2018-19 participants). This year, Mini-Camp will be Saturday-Sunday, September 1-2, 2018 at the Frank Pasquerilla Conference Center, snuggled in the western Pennsylvania hills of Johnstown, PA, only 1.5 hours from downtown Pittsburgh. This state-of-the-art facility will house our ever-growing orchestra with plenty of room to spare! Students will spend the weekend diving deep into YPO repertoire, getting to know each other, and TRYPO staff.
- NEW! Apprentice Conductor Program: This is a new program offering students a chance to study and hone the skills in the craft we call conducting.We will explore the many facets that make a good conductor and leader. They include score study and analysis, baton technique, rehearsal strategies and more. Score discussions will be on music currently being rehearsed by YPO as well as other works chosen by the music director. Application info available in September 2018.
- NEW! Three Rivers Youth Wind Symphony: We are excited to announce the creation of a new ensemble that will run December-May, open to wind, brass & percussion students. This ensemble can be an add-on to another TRYPO ensemble, or it can function as a student’s primary TRYPO membership. All 2018-19 YPO wind/brass/percussion students are automatically invited into Wind Symphony, as well as other new students by invitation. Rehearsals will be most Saturdays mornings December-May (after marching band season). Ensemble information and audition information for new students available in Fall 2018. Ensemble will be led by incoming TRYPO Music Director Brian Worsdale.
- NEW! Three Rivers Percussion Ensemble: The 2018-19 season will see also the creation of a new percussion ensemble for students. Rehearsals are currently planned for most Saturdays from 11:30am-12:30pm. All 2018-19 YPO percussion students are automatically invited into Percussion Ensemble. Ensemble information and audition information for new students will be available in August 2018. Ensemble will be led by YPO Percussion Coach Paul Evans with frequent guest clinicians.
- TRYPO Goes to the PSO, take 1: Mark your Calendars! We already have tickets on hold for Sunday, November 4 to see the Pittsburgh Symphony play The Planets!